Today the British Business Bank is launching its latest annual Small Business Equity Tracker Report
This year’s report looks at the overall performance of UK equity markets, including the differing impacts of the pandemic on different sectors. The report also explores the importance of the UK’s deep tech sector, as well as the latest data on UK VC-backed companies exiting both in the UK and overseas. Furthermore, the report examines the contribution of the British Business Bank and the impact of the Future Fund.
- Overall equity investment in the UK’s smaller businesses increased by 9% in 2020 to a record £8.8bn.
- Total value of equity investment in smaller businesses reached £4.5bn in Q1 2021, the highest amount ever recorded in a single quarter.
- Investment into the UK deep tech sector has grown significantly in the past five years, rising 291% to £2.3bn but funding levels remain below that in the US, the market leader.
- British Business Bank programmes supported 21% of all announced UK equity deals in 2020 with 11% coming from the Future Fund.
- Concentration of deals undertaken in London has reduced sharply, from 68% in 2016 to 42% in 2020, in part due to British Business Bank activity to address regional imbalances.
To view the full report, please click here.
To view the accompanying press release, please click here.
If you would like to meet to discuss the report and the British Business Bank in more detail, please contact BBBPublicAffairs@british-business-bank.co.uk